Thursday 1 August 2013

Dexter-wordy and VERY photo-filled.

My house is a house of plenty...of furkids. This post is about Dexter, my indoor-only cat.
Yup-he is not allowed outside. I made this choice for a number of reasons. No cat fights or the resulting wounds and vet bills, no risk of being run over, no risk of him vanishing. A huge factor was my elderly (like, seriously damn old) neighbour. She stole my ginga.
Anyway. In Dec 2011, my partner suggested getting a kitten, "for the dogs". I explained they were not children, but if he was serious, he'd better bloody say so, as there was NO chance I would disagree to a kitten (potential Crazy Cat Lady, here).
There were certain criteria-we both wanted a boy, the Mr didn't want a ginger cat, and I didn't want a mostly white-with-black-patches cat. I found Dexter, and picked him up the night before my annual leave started.
Most expensive cat I have ever had-I got a ticket on my way to pick him up for no WoF/reg. Fail!

The next day, I took Dexter for a vet check. He was actually closer to 6wks then 8, and weighed 600g. I have 2 rats heavier than that. We wormed, flea'd etc him.

Dexter settled in beautifully with the dogs, and beat them on a regular basis. More Sarsh than Jorja, as evidenced in the following pic.
For the record-Sarsh is trying extremely hard to get her face away from the TerrorCat.
He also loves his canine bitches.
Jorja gets pretty uncomfortable around him; always has.




Dexter was neutered at 11wks of age, weighing almost 1.2kg. I already knew he would be an indoor cat, and wanted to stop spraying before it started. As a result of his 'early' neuter, he is a tall cat.
This is he, checking out the cat-blocker we made for the ranch slider. That bit of wood is about halfway up the door.


Dexter is now 21mths old, and has an excellent life. He is on an exclusively raw diet, and absolutely thriving. Rabbit is his favourite meal; venison and blood make him crazy-hyperactive.
Eating bunny, and purring away.

A little bit of crazy after having blood and beef for brekkie.


Dexter LOVES ping pong balls, those plastic caps from water bottles and toilet rolls-the more paper, the better.  He also has an obsession with the clotheshorse.


He has not been outside (excluding a memorable occasion involving my partner, the xbox and an open window), and could not be happier. Every now and then, I grow him wheatgrass.

If you are still here after all that cat, I am impressed!


No comments:

Post a Comment