Saturday 11 January 2014

Babies babies babies! **lots of photos**

Happy Sunday morning!
As I think I have mentioned before, I am part of NZ Rat Rescue (go look, go on).
On Christmas Eve, 2 girls came in who were probably both pregnant. As an average size rat litter is around 12, with the 'normal' range being anything from 5-15+, this was concerning.
So, both girls (Possum & Bellatrix) were fed and housed as if they were up the duff. The signs were not awesome. Weight gain was steady-which, being that they had not been correctly fed before, was not a guarantee-they were eating a lot, loved nesting etc etc.
There is no real surefire way of telling if a rat is pregnant, until you get near the end, and they look like they have swallowed a lightbulb.
Possum is now off pregnancy-watch. NO BABIES!
Bellatrix surprised me last Saturday (4/1) with 12. TWELVE teeny pink squirmy things.
I have never raised a litter, and had never planned too. Being involved in a rescue shows you precisely how few new rats are needed. There are plenty of needy rodents out there.
Anyway-my nails have been a bit left out, as I have been distracted. I will have something to show later today, hopefully. For now-baby pics! They are 9 days old today, and I have a group shot from ages 1-8days for you.





They are so freaking cute. Ears are no longer stuck down, their peach-fuzzy fur is incredible. It is almost impossible to stop touching them. In a week-ish, eyes will open, and they'll start eating real food. This will also be the time I end up staring into my kitchen, wondering how I am going to feed all these mouths. I started stocking up on food that day Bellatrix popped.
It is possible to sponsor this litter; if you are interested, contact office@nzrr.org.
There are 6 boys, 6 girls. Because Mumma rat is Bellatrix, the babies will get Harry Potter names. I have the names chosen, but I haven't given them to anyone yet.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have eepers to cuddle.



No comments:

Post a Comment